Friday, February 17, 2006

"I feel like they're talking in a language I don't speak ..."

The Friday Five


1. If you could go back and relive one moment or day from your life, without changing anything, what would you re-experience?

A summer day from the early 90’s or late 80’s … when we’re all gathered at the beach house in Florida. Those were wonderful days.

2. If you could witness a moment in history, again without changing anything, what would you want to see?

(This question is a repeat, I remember answering it not too long ago.) I’d go back and witness Woodstock. Because I’m a hippie in my heart.


3. If you could talk to a younger version of yourself, what age would you visit and what message would you give?

I’d go back and tell 16-year-old Dawn that she doesn’t have to “have a boyfriend” to be happy. I’d tell her to finish college and get her nursing degree. I’d tell her, for future reference, that perms are not her friend. I’d tell her to eat right and exercise. But I’d tell her she’s NOT FAT. I’d tell her to stop worrying what other people think about her. And I’d tell her that life never stays bad, things always get better … and the bad stuff happens for a reason. It makes you stronger and wiser.

4. If you could choose one moment that would be guaranteed to happen in your future, what would it be and when would it happen?

Oh yeah, that wonderful day when I win 75 million in the lottery, and I reach my goal weight ... TOMORROW!

5. Pretend you left a time capsule for yourself 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. You just opened it. What three things from your past are you now holding and what age were you when you buried them?

I’m holding my first Barbie doll with the brunette helmet hairdo (I got her for Christmas in 1964), my 45 RPM single of “These Boots Are Made For Walking” by Nancy Sinatra, and my white go-go boots (I can’t believe Frances let me have those things … with white fishnet stockings!!!). The year was 1967, and I was 8 years old.

-----

The doctor himself called me yesterday afternoon, and said that we didn’t have to bring Grandma in today. In fact, we don’t have to go either. Score. He said that her B12, folate, and iron levels are normal … meaning that the anemia is likely being caused by the leukemia itself, and not a vitamin deficiency. He said that for a 93-year-old lady with leukemia, she is in awesome condition.

She was hard to wake up yesterday when I visited. But when she did wake up, she told me she had been exploring her bathroom, and moving around the room in her wheelchair earlier. When the aide came in, she confirmed this … saying that Grandma had been really active and independent all day.

-----

Today is Jimmy’s off-Friday. I think we will make a trip to the storage building to search for a few more wearable shirts for Grandma, as well as her bottom teeth. Silly me, I thought since she NEVER wore them, we could pack them away and reduce some clutter in her room. Think again. She never wears them, but she wants them in the drawer, dammit. So we’ll find the teeth, and some different clothes and visit with her for a while.

Then I think we’ll do some grocery shopping, maybe do a Sam’s run. The NOAA weather site says a snow/sleet weekend is coming. Of course it’s sunny now, and will be in the mid-60’s this afternoon.

-----

That is all.

No comments: