Sunday, October 19, 2003

"You should never have to bury your own babies ..."

Quiet Sunday.

Emilie is home with me for a long weekend ... Fall Break at Clemson. We ran a couple of errands yesterday afternoon, and rented some movies. We had a late bite to eat at California Dreaming, and came home to change into PJ's and watch Saturday Night Live. She's had a stressful time of it lately, and well ... so have I. We both were ready for bed pretty quick.

----------

The funeral yesterday, and the events leading up to it, have been in my thoughts almost constantly. I think it may very well be the saddest thing I've ever seen ... her casket being wheeled out of the chapel, followed by her mom and her older sister, holding onto each other with tears streaming down their faces. Her father walked behind them, with his mother by his side ... all of them looking as though they'd never smile again. I can't imagine how they will find the strength to make it through the coming days and months. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Her 21st birthday. Today.

I hope I never forget this feeling I have of being incredibly lucky and blessed. Nothing can compare to the pain of losing a child. My heart breaks for every parent who has lived through it.

----------

Don't know what today has in store ... I just hope there are some smiles involved.

----------

Outside My House:
High: 75
Low: 48
Sunny

----------

Thought For Today:
"Time it was and what a time it was it was...
a time of innocence, a time of confidences
long ago it must be
I have a photograph, preserve your memories
its all that's left you." (Simon & Garfunkel)

No comments: