Wednesday, October 29, 2003

"Hey Britney ..."

So yeah, I changed jobs again. It occured to me, after speaking with Adam on the phone yesterday, that I had neglected to update my ever-changing job status with all the important people in my life. Some knew, some didn't. No offense. :-)

Last week, I was invited to attend a job orientation with B1g L0ts ... and I accepted. The other job, which was supposed to be so fulfilling emotionally since I was "helping people" was really nothing more than "Maid". And hell, I've done that for 25 years. Nothing against being a maid, it's an honest day's work for many ... just wasn't for moi, ya see.

The manager at BL said that the first 2 or 3 weeks on the job would be backbreaking, sweaty, and miserable since we'd be "building" the store. I started at 7 AM on Monday, and he was not lying. We started with a completely empty space of (my estimate) 60,000 sq. ft. The first day there was much talk like "Are you sure that's not too heavy for you? ... Let's get the guys to lift these, ladies." On Tuesday that flew out the window. We start the minute we hit the door, have two measly 15-minute breaks, and one half-hour lunch break. Parts of my body scream, others go numb. But I'll be damned if I don't keep on going. I'm lifting and placing heavy metal shelves, I'm painting, I'm pinching the beejesus out of my fingers ... I'm sort of surprising myself. I didn't know I had it in me. Still though, by the time I pull into my garage around 4 PM, it's all I can do to get out of the car.

We have tomorrow off since toxic fumes are scheduled, but I'll be back on Friday. That's if my legs and feet cooperate.

Today I had to stifle a smirky laugh when the District Manager, during our end-of-day pep talk, said, "This is going to be a classy, top of the line B1g L0ts! The talk of Greenville!"

I'm thinking it was the paint fumes ... poor man.

----------

Still haven't carved that silly jack-o-lantern. I guess it'll get done sometime tomorrow. Or not.

----------

Adam wrote me an e-mail to tell me that I'm getting an Outkast CD for Christmas. And all I've got to say to that is: "Woohooo!" :-)

Love to both my kiddos ... thinking of you so often you wouldn't believe it.

-----------

Outside My House Today:
High: 71
Low: 47
Sunny

-----------

Thought For Today:
"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead." (Johnny Carson)

No comments: