Wednesday, October 22, 2003

"It's been a bad day, please don't take our picture ..."

For over a year now, I use the Internet while sitting in my comfy chair, with my feet propped up on an ottoman, with a laptop computer on ... you guessed it, my lap. My sister Laura let me use her laptop after I whined like a 2-year-old about not getting one for Christmas. At the time, she had a desktop computer, and this thing was just gathering dust. Since then, I have used almost all the life this poor little Hewlett Packard had in it. I tripped over a cord one night, and broke something in the plug thingee ... and now the power cord is taped into the back. And the battery is deader than a doornail, so it has to be plugged in at all times.

Sister Laura lost her desktop in a lightening strike several months ago, and has had the good manners never to ask for this one back. And I've had the bad manners to never offer it. Yeah, I'm ashamed. One of the reasons is, I was mortified that I had broken the darn thing, and didn't want her find out. I guess I was thinking that one day soon, the laptop fairy would leave TWO new laptops under my pillow ... one for me and one for her.

Well anyway, yesterday as I was reading some e-mail, I heard a new and strange clicking noise from deep within this old, battered laptop. And we all know that's never going to turn out to be a good thing. I'm thinking that, very soon now, I'll be updating this journal from upstairs at the computer desk, instead of my comfy chair. Easy come, easy go.

I do hope Laura still loves me.

----------

Stolen from someone else's journal ... because I can't think of anything to write about:

A - Act your age: I'm 44, but I feel at least 20 years younger (at least in my head)

B - Boyfriend: Haven't had one of those since 1976

C - Chore you hate: Cleaning bathrooms

D - Dad's name: Chuck

E - Essential make up item: Lipstick

F - Favorite actor: John Travolta / Tom Hanks (it's a tie)

G - Gold or silver: Gold, it's outdated and so am I

H – Height: 5’10"

I - Instruments you play: A little piano, but 30 years ago I could play the flute, the oboe, and the bassoon

J - Job title: Housewife / Job Changer

K – Kids: Two, and have I mentioned how much I adore them?

L - Living arrangements: A gray 2-story house in South Carolina, with my traveling husband and our slightly unstable kitty cat

M - Mom's name: Mary Frances

N - Number of people you've slept with: I guess this means SLEPT with ... so my answer is one

O - Overnight hospital stays: Around 6, I think ... 2 breast episodes (plus a zillion hospital visits so various strangers could stare at my boobs that weren't overnight), 2 childbirths, 1 ankle surgery, and 1 week-long gallbladder nightmare

P - Phobia: I have issues with snakes, deep water, clowns, and midgets.

Q - Quote you like: "Too soon old, too late smart." (my daddy)

R - Religious affiliation: I was raised in the Lutheran Church, but I now I am in a constant state of wondering. I pray to God. And I hope I'm heard.

S - Siblings: 2 sisters, 1 half-brother and 1 half-sister

T - Time you wake up: Lately it's around 8:30, because I tend to stay awake later when I'm in the house alone.

U - Unique habit: Dreaming of the day I'm not fat anymore, but doing nothing to get myself there

V - Vegetable you refuse to eat: Brussel sprouts ... I was forced to eat them when I was a kid, and manoman, just the memory makes me gag.

W - Worst habit: Carbohydrates

X - X-rays you've had: ankle (broken), foot (kicked the refrigerator), chest (to make sure I'm not a walking TB bomb), digestive system (to find out why I was in pain and throwing up), mammograms, and teeth

Y - Yummy food you make: Chicken soup, carrot cake, turkey dressing, scrambled egg sandwiches

Z - Zodiac Sign: Aries, the hard-headed ram

----------

Outside My House:
High: 76
Low: 54
Sunny

---------

Thought For Today:
"Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving."

No comments: