Wednesday, August 06, 2003

"I put your picture away, I wonder where you've been ..."

Scattered thunderstorms and muggy, with highs in the upper 80s ...
it's still summertime in South Carolina. It looks pretty out my window today, sun through the trees and a little breeze. I know there's no air to breathe out there though. It's August.

--------
Answering some comments:
Emilie, I love you. Always. And it's me that's the problem lately, there's no doubt in my mind. I worry too much, I stress over things that don't need stressing over, and I can't seem to find much to smile about lately. But it'll pass. And I'm sorry I took it out on you.

Brandy, I was pretty tickled to think that Adam was going to get to "play" with the drummers and get paid for it too ... but I guess it wasn't to be. I had to laugh when he said, "Those kids don't need a teacher, they need a babysitter!"
--------

Hayley the Devil Cat is still chewing/scratching/going bald. Don't know what exactly to do except continue with the pills the vet prescribed.

Yesterday I applied for a job at the last few places I knew about. My friend Judy called to tell me about her first two days of orientation at NHC. (She started on Monday, two weeks before I start.) She said she really liked it, everybody seems really nice, and she feels like it'll be a good place to work. It made me feel a bit better to hear that from her. I still need to set up my PPD and drug screening and get that underway. I called about that yesterday, but never got a call-back. Between that and The Haven, I'm feeling quite phone-rejected.

Today I have the exciting task of buying a new car insurance policy and cancelling the old one. I'm sure I'll feel a little bit of "neener neener" joy when I call Liberty Mutual and cancel the policy we've had with them for at least 20 years. The assholes.

Speaking of cars, Emilie headed out the door yesterday for an appointment and, minutes later, came back in fuming ... her windshield had been demolished by a falling branch during a thunderstorm the night before. Gotta love all the shade these trees provide, right? Anyway, they'll come tomorrow to install another windshield. Ka-ching.

And here's something I played around with yesterday, for lack of anything better to do:

50 Questions (Hey Beth, look! I did a survey!)
1. Your name spelled backwards: Nwad (I love that)

2. Where were your parents born? My dad was born in Watertown, Minnesota and my mother was born in Villa Rica, Georgia.

3. What is the last thing you downloaded onto your computer? One of my favorite time-wasting games, "Bejeweled". It doesn't work. And it won't allow me to uninstall it. Grr.

4. What's your favorite restaurant? Right now - Romano's Macaroni Grill.

5. Last time you swam in a pool? Eons ago, about 1996. I used to think that one day we'd have a pool in our own yard. Silly me.

6. Have you ever been in a school play? I can't remember a single one.

7. How many kids do you want? Hindsight is 20/20, and my hindsight tells me I should have had about four. Adam should have had a brother, and Emilie should have had a sister. I wonder what life would have been like!

8. Type of music you dislike most? Well, that's easy. I can't stand jazz that has no rhythm, no beat. It makes my brain swell.

9. What's the last thing you watched on TV? Emilie and I watched "Donnie Darko" on HBO last night.

10. Do you have cable? Yes.

11. Have you ever ridden on a moped? No, and the idea of it now makes me howl with laughter. The poor moped.

12. Ever prank call anybody? God yes. I grew up in the days long before Caller ID.

13. Ever get a parking ticket? Yes, back in the late 80's, at the county library.

14. Would you go bungee jumping or sky diving? No. At least not at this weight. Might change my mind in the future.

15. Furthest place you ever traveled? Hmmmm - I've been west to New Orleans, northwest to Minnesota, east to the coast of South Carolina, north to the coast of New Jersey, and south to Orlando, Florida. Not very far in any direction.

16. Do you have a garden? No - just a plant shelf in the kitchen. It won't be home until I can have flowers and vegetables in the yard. And that'll never happen here.

17. What's your favorite comic strip? "Calvin and Hobbes" is the best. No wait, "The Far Side" is the best. I can't decide.

18. Do you really know all the words to your national anthem? Yes.

19. Bath or Shower, morning or night? Showers, morning. And sometimes a 2nd one at night. But that's only because the bathtubs in this house suck.

20. Best movie you've seen in the past month? I guess for what I've seen in the past month, "The Good Girl" was the best one.

21. Favorite pizza topping? BBQ chicken.

22. Chips or popcorn? Popcorn, with parmesan cheese and Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt.

23. What color lipstick do you usually wear? Clinique's "Tender Heart".

24. Have you ever smoked peanut shells? Um ... huh?

25. Have you ever been in a beauty pageant? You must be joking.

26. Orange Juice or apple? Orange. Unless you're talking about hot spiced apple cider in November.

27. Who was the last person you went out to dinner with and where did you dine? Adam, Brandy, Emilie and I went to dinner a couple of weeks ago. We ate at a locally-owned place called Stax's Omega.

28. Favorite type chocolate bar? No question, it's Toblerone. *drool*

29. When was the last time you cried? Yesterday. An old friend once told me that I'd cry over an Old Navy ad. It's almost that bad.

30. Last time you ate a homegrown tomato? Two weeks ago. Brandy gave me some from her visit to her grandparents' house. :-)

31. Have you ever won a trophy? No. Unless you count "group trophys", and then, I've won quite a few with the high school band.

32. Are you a good cook? When I have time, yes.

33. Do you know how to pump your own gas? Yes.

34. Ever order an article from an infomercial? Yes.

35. Sprite or 7-up? Neither.

36. Have you ever had to wear a uniform to work? Yes, I used to work at a nursing home when I was 17. I had to wear all white. I was also a "candy-striper" when I was 16, and wore a red and white striped jumper.

37. Last thing you bought at a pharmacy? Drugs for the cat.

38. Ever throw up in public? Not that I can remember.

39. Would you prefer being a millionaire or to find true love? Find true love.

40. Do you believe in love at first sight? No.

41. Ever call a 1-900 number? No.

42. Can exs be friends? Yes, if both are mature enough.

43. Who was the last person you visited in a hospital? I stayed with Emilie in the hospital in 2001. Also stayed with my mother while she recovered from surgery in 1995 or '96 ... but that's not exactly visiting. I guess the last person I actually visited was my Dad. He was in the hospital in February 1994. And then I saw him a month later ... in CCU. I gently touched his forehead as he passed way. :-/

44. Did you have a lot of hair when you were a baby? I guess it was pretty normal for a baby. But I think I have less hair now than I did then.

45. What message is on your answering machine? It's been so long since I put it there, I don't really know. Some generic "Sorry we missed your call" thing, I'm sure.

46. What's your all time favorite Saturday Night Live Character? I have watched every season of SNL since it started. So I could never come up with just one! Some of the older characters like Gilda Radner's "Roseanne Roseannadanna", John Belushi's "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, Pepsi" guy, and Dan Ackroyd's "Julia Child" are sentimental favorites. And one must never forget the two of them as "The Blues Brothers". Eddie Murphy doing "Buh-weet" or "Richard Simmons" or "James Brown" or "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" ... he always cracked me up. Newer favorites: just about anything Will Ferrell did, same goes for Chris Farley. My current favorite characters are done by Horatio Sanz ... "Gobi" ... the faculty advisor for Wake Up Wakefield ... and his impersonation of Ozzy Osbourne was hilarious. When Horatio appears in a skit, I know laughter will soon follow.

47. What was the name of your first pet? First cat was "Tico" ... I'm pretty sure my parents named her, since I was only 6 years old and would have picked "Fluffy" or "Kitty".

48. What is in your purse? Wallet with no money; cosmetics bag with powder, lipstick and oily face blotters; a couple of pens; a mini-notebook; my checkbook; my address book; gum; hand lotion; kleenex; my keys; my cellphone; and a couple of "just in case" female things.

49. Favorite thing to do before bedtime? I usually watch TV, but I like to read too.

50. What is one thing you are grateful for today? I woke up.

Thought For Today:
"No matter what anybody tells you, you can never have too much sugar." (John Travolta in "Michael")

No comments: