Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"And it breaks my heart ..."

I don't know what happened to Monday. It was over before it began.

-----

Nice, fast weekend here ... with Emilie and Allie the Pup to keep me company. We spent time at Cleveland Park Dog Park on both Friday and Saturday. People-watching AND dog-watching ... I could stay there for hours. Allie is a very well-behaved puppy, but Maggie got one good kitty-swipe at her nose when she got too close on Friday. And that's all it took. Allie kept her distance after that. She did take out the majority of the hostas in my front yard, but the yard looks like hell this year anyway. Crazy pup ... Em promised to e-mail me a picture to post from the weekend, but I guess she forgot.

-----

I woke this morning, still feeling so terribly sad for all the families and friends affected by the VA Tech shootings. So many lives ... and for what? There are no answers, and even if there were an explanation, it wouldn't be enough for those families who woke up yesterday, thinking their loved one was starting a normal day at college ... and then, before the day was ended, had to endure the horror and pain of learning they'd never see them again. And that kind of pain lasts forever. My heart is broken for all affected.

-----

Jimmy is busy preparing for his long weekend of bonding with his son and sleeping on the ground in Florida. The bonding part will be done while they drool over home-built airplanes, and converse with the people who built them. I think they are both looking forward to it a lot. I hope all the airplane fun makes up for the fact that they are sleeping in a tent. (And I'm saying this, based NOT on my own distaste for campground bathrooms, but on the groans and moans that occur when Jimmy tries to get up every morning ... after spending the night in an expensive Sleep Number bed. He will probably be unable to move after a night in a sleeping bag.)

-----

Can't decide, at this early point, whether I will enjoy the solitude this weekend or hit the road for GA to visit my Mom. I suspect Lazy Dawn will win out.

-----

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." - Vladimir Nabokov

No comments: