Friday, January 06, 2006

"This is a lesson in procrastination ..."

I could teach a college-level course on the subject.

I think I passed the gene on to at least one of my kiddos too.

It's not all bad. As Ellen Degeneres says in her too-funny "Here and Now" DVD:
"Procrastination is not the problem. It is the solution. It is the universe's way of saying stop, slow down, you move too fast. Listen to the music. Whoa whoa, listen to the music. Because music makes the people come together, it makes the bourgeois and the rebel. So come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody try to love one another. Because what the world needs now is love, sweet love. And I know that love is a battlefield, but boogie on reggae woman because you're gonna make it after all. So celebrate good times, come on. I've gotta stop I've gotta come to my senses I've been out riding fences for so long... oops I did it again... um... What I'm trying to say is, if you leave tonight and you don't remember anything else that I've said, leave here and remember this: Procrastinate now, don't put it off.

In some ways, I see my procrastination as Nature's way of slowing things down for me. But in other ways, I see it as me wanting more ass-sitting time. In other words, laziness. After all, I do hold the title.

Of course I never procrastinate over the pleasant things in my life. It's always the crap jobs. Bill paying. Cleaning bathrooms. Cleaning anything, for that matter. Laundry. Grocery shopping. And this week, I've procrastinated over Emilie's move to Clemson. She asks me to come and keep her company while she packs boxes, and I answer, "Oh, let's do that later. I have to do (whatever) right now." Moving day is tomorrow. I wonder if I could devise a plan to make her procrastinate on it ... and move NEXT year. I'm really going to miss having her around.

-----

Grandma F has already started singing her favorite song ... it's called "I Hate Therapy". She was oh, so grumbly yesterday when I found her finishing up her time in the therapy room. And when she's unhappy about one thing, she's unhappy about EVERYTHING. Had to bite my tongue a lot with her yesterday.

-----

I have had the same 3 Netflix DVDs sitting on my DVD player since the week before Christmas. I bet Netflix thinks I died. Maybe it just means I'm not that interested in seeing "The Polar Express", "Hide and Seek", and some documentary about a small town in Florida. Duh. I should just mail them all back so they'll send the last few from The Sopranos, Season 5. Sounds like a plan.

-----

More proof of my mad procrastination skillz: My kitchen floor is still sticky.

No comments: