Sunday, December 10, 2006

"Christmas is here, bringing good cheer ..."

A Christmas Meme:

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate. This year, it’ll be sugar-free. Bah.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When my kids were little, I followed the same tradition my Mom and Dad did when I was growing up. The gifts from Santa were never wrapped, but displayed under and around the tree. Gifts from Mom and Dad were wrapped. As we got older, all our gifts were wrapped. My grownup kids still get their stockings filled, and they know those are from Santa!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White, although I have been known to mix the two on a few trees over the years. Now we have a pre-lit artificial tree with all white lights. The lights on the mantle garland, the mini outdoor trees and the lights we string on the back deck are all white, too.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes. It never works for me though. Bah, again.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually by the time the first week in December is here, our decorations are up.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Daddy’s “Stuff”. Too much will make you pay, but it’s positively addictive.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? When I was a kid, the whole season was simply magical. The older I get, the less magic there is. I do remember one Christmas Eve, I had to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and I was terrified I would interrupt Santa as he left our gifts under the tree. I called my father into my room, explained my predicament, and he lovingly walked with me and guided me to the bathroom … all the while, my eyes were squeezed tightly shut and covered with my hand.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t remember how, or who spoiled it all for me, but I remember being so worried about letting my Mom know that I knew the truth. I pulled her aside one night, and as gently as I could, I said, “Please don’t be mad at me, Mama. I know there is no Santa. But I PROMISE you I won’t tell Kay and Laura.” I wish she had told me that I was WRONG. I probably would have believed for another Christmas.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I don't. Sometimes when the kids would beg, we’d let them open one small gift on Christmas Eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
There’s no theme … it’s all the ornaments the kids made through the years at school, mixed with things I’ve had for years. I still buy something new every once in awhile. Lights, ornaments, gold and white “filler” (silk flowers and sparkly stuff), and candy canes. No garland and no icicles.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? We get it so rarely here, that I always love it. I hate to drive in though, and I hate to worry about my kids driving in it.

12. Can you ice skate? No, but I remember a winter trip to Minneapolis to visit my Dad’s family when I was little. My Dad went ice skating, and I was fascinated and totally impressed … I had no idea he could do that!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? There have been a few! I loved getting my Barbie doll in 1963 or 1964. And then the Mystery Date game a couple of years later made me feel like a teenager … so grown up!

I also loved getting my red and white Adidas shoes when I was 17.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? FAMILY.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Divinity! Give me egg whites and sugar, and I’m a happy camper. I will have to take the divinity madness slow and easy this year though, or I will be a sick-as-a-dog camper.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Cooking. I love to make all the goodies and cakes. And I love to be in the kitchen, with family all over the house. To me, that’s Christmas.

17. What tops your tree? A totally boring ivory colored bow with gold trim. I’d love to find the perfect star one of these days.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? No doubt about it, I love to give. I love shopping for loved ones, trying to find something that will make them smile on Christmas morning.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? I’ve always loved “Carol Of The Bells”, and I will cry just about every time I hear “Little Drummer Boy’. “Oh Holy Night” is another favorite.

20. Candy canes? Don’t really like them, unless they are the soft, melt-in-your-mouth sugar canes made by Bob’s. I hang the regular ones on the tree, and toss them out when Christmas is over.

21. Favorite Christmas movie? “Christmas Vacation” with Chevy Chase or “The Christmas Story” ("Oh, fuuuuuuuudge!").

22. What do you leave for Santa? Santa can eat any of the goodies off the dining room table.

-----

Went to dinner at Adam and Brandy's last night. The tree was decorated and the house looked sooooo pretty!

-----

I loved my new hairdresser! She lightened my hair, and cut it quite a bit. She was going to cut it way short, but decided to save that for next time. She said the lighter hair would be enough to get used to, with everything else that's going on this time of year. I'm almost disappointed, as I am SO ready for a change. Jimmy doesn't like it, of course. (sigh)

-----

A lot to do today ... gonna make zucchini bread and freeze it so we can have it for a breakfast or snack choice when family's here for Christmas, laundry awaits, there's cleaning to be started (and finished tomorrow), and I will work for an hour today on the phone.

Happy Sunday, everybody.

No comments: