Friday, June 29, 2007

"Back to life, back to reality ..."

Remember me?

Really, I had every intention of updating here while I was in Georgia. I took the old laptop, Michael hooked me up with some Internet access, and God knows there's not much else to do at my mother's house. But I had no idea how incredibly frustrating it'd be to sit and wait on that old laptop to decide to follow whatever command I had just given, and then do it using a dial-up connection. Sit and wait, sit and wait ... and if you knew how uncomfortable my mother's kitchen chairs are, well then you'd REALLY understand.

So I looked at my e-mail every few days, and that's about it. Sorry.

(I also had a plan to post a picture or two today, but I can't seem to remember how to operate THIS computer now. Grr.)

-----

So I left on June 3rd, and Mother's surgery was on Monday the 4th. They kept her in the hospital until that Friday afternoon, because she was really nauseous for some reason. The nurses all kept telling her that it was residual anesthesia in her system, and sometimes it takes awhile to get out of there, especially in older folks. She was miserable, and completely distracted and worried by the fact that she didn't want to eat.

She got some relief from all that on the day after she got back home, and really ... she's had a good recovery, so far. She's a most impatient person, and wanted to be "normal" the week after surgery though, so she's not been a very happy camper. But the nurse that comes to see her once a week, and her physical therapist that comes three times every week both tell her regularly how well she's doing.

I could go on for days and tell y'all all the stories ... but let's just leave it at this: I had some EXCELLENT life lessons on "How NOT To Behave As An Elderly Person". Now all I have to do is remember that shit after the Alzheimer's kicks in.

I'm so glad to be home, you would not believe.

No comments: